Felicity's Weight Loss Journey

Hi my name is Felicity. I am 45, married 10 years November 05 and live in a small town in the middle of the South Island. I have been over weight since I was 11 and always hassled at school.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Christchurch Marathon-18k walk

Another one under my belt.

Drove to Chch on Friday via Timaru hubby bought a Ford Courier Ute(of which I call truck and get reminded it is not). He is happy and others have said it looks to be a good buy-I haven't said much and have yet to even get in the thing. We travelled in both vehicles to Chch, something I thought was a bit silly but as it turned out had its benifits. After doing a bit of shopping once in town I arrived at my Aunties at about 7.30 time for a quick wash and we went to tea nothing worth even mentioning.
Saturday I was up early had planned a walk with Sarita a WW friend at 8am so met her on the corner and we clocked up and hour was really invigourating. Then onto Aqua at 10am. Jo met me there, another Ww friend and walking/duathlon compeditor. Had a great workout. Then a spa, Jo went home for shower and changed I wollowed a little longer. I had taken clothes to chnage into and so showered and got dressed. We were to met Rachel, another WWer and duathlete around the corner at a cafe. I was very impressed, beaut meal and service pressiontation etc I'll be returning as it is just around from hotel we normally stay at and the pool. We had a great time chatting and laughing and in no time it was 1pm so we walked over to register for the Marathon-Jo was running the 1/2 and Rachelwas walking 10k and I was walking the 18k...something I thought I may live to regret. Que's of compeditors but things moved very smoothly and we were out again in no time. My number was 6069 and 9.30 tomorow I was competing in a large event(as it turned out it was the biggest yet of theCHCh marathon). So we walked back to our cars and Rachel went her way and Jo and I were meeting others at Eastgate...as it turned out they never showed so we had a coffee and chat for about an hour...it was NICE to just sit and natter, I have known Jo probably a yr now and first time we have just chatted about life...we usulally talk events. She had a massage at 4 so we went our seperate ways and I stayed at the mall and did a bit of shopping at warehouse...bought some warmer clothes for tomorrow as weather was to be nasty and some new warm Pj's and just stuff...no trouble to spend $122 bucks. I was walking out of Warehouse and run into an old 'boyfriend' wel wasn't he ever impressed with the new me...he went on and on I of course didn't stop him t would have been rude to interupt wouldn't it. Then I went and got chicken pieces from Countdown I was cooking Satay Chicken and Rice for tea when I got home. THEN I wnet and visited my girlfriend, she is very ill and hasn't got long. It was tough but we talked about life and death and just stuff it was good to have this time and I know I will hold these last 3 days dear to me in the next few months. I left there about 5.30 didn't realise it was getting so late. Got back to Aunties we had tea, hubby had fish and chips and blobbed until about 9.30 when I went to bed and slept well. Alarm set for 6.30am.
I was surprised how well I slept...well until 4.30 and then that was me for the night. I got up at 5 had cereal and fruit with toast fruit bread. Made couple of peanut butter sandwiches, packed some dried apricots, raisins and energy chocolate in a snap lock bag for on the track packed my bag with a drinking yogurt bottle water and sammies etc. Got dressed then peeled off some clothes as I had to much on. Woke hubby he had his breakfast I had another coffee toilet stop and off we went. As we hadn't got to go around the route yesterday as we had planned we followed the map to familorise me and arrange were hubby could meet me for support etc. Got to Chch town hall starting point about 8 the marathon runners were getting lined up they took off at 8.15. Another loo stop. Back out to drink more water. The crowds started to thicken more nerves so back to loo wise move because by this time the ques were LONG. We were to take off at 9.30 so started to head to starters line. The anounsor was asking the slower compeditors to go to the back which I did then I thought hang on crowd like this I will be last b4 I even get to the starters line so moved up a bit and managed to get over starters line before I was the last and I unable to see others by time I got to 1k mark. There was a public loo in the park just to side of road so I used that as nerves were still high, got back on road and do u think the cop directig traffic would let me over road so I stood there for at least 5 mins till I got right pissed and crossed anyway. As I got to Retreat Rd hubby passed in car he was meeting me there but had got stuck in traffic as I said he would if he went the way he was going but he knew all. He was there just in the nick of time but he was there. I had a banana left him with my polar fleece top as I was to hot and had striped down to just a t shirt but kept a top and sleeveless vest for later in the day as the weather was to turn nasty...it was still nice BUT still had a long way to go. I was very along at this stage and could see others on other side of river already well on there way back to town. I heard a call from over the river and it was Nades I met her before the Sunlatte Duathlon she called out well done and I was never so pleased to hear a familiar voice. I was plodding along the Fulton Hogan fella's ere waiting as I passed each mark to pull in the cones etc marking the road. I kept going just as I got to the end of the going out of town side a lady asked me if I was competeing now I am plodding along with a huge great number pinned to my chest dah yes...they didn't know i was there so she called thru and they tried talking me out of carrying on...it had jsut started raining so while they were making noises I put on my long sleeve top andsleeveless vest. I carried on walking becuase if I stopped long I'd have never made it because I'd seice up. Next a car stopped and 2 got out tried to suggest I join them as it was getting cold etc I said I wanted to keep going and until I offically had to be pulled off so they did more talking and I kept walking. A lady called Linda was assigned to be my personal marshall hehehe all the markers and cones had been pulled in by then roads were open again. Thankfully I had the marshall because there was twice I'd have gone the wrong way. I kept plodding on the rain started very cold wind and lonely but I kept plodding on. Hubby met me at Swann's road he asked if I wanted to keep going but I wans't giving up. I kept txting friends and family telling them how I was going and getting support back. Linda the marshal kept checking up on me and making sure I was ok...by Swanns Rd she was telling me I am not letting u give up now. The rain was driving and I was drenched...hard to see the figures on the cellphone. From Peterbourgh St you turn left into Park Terrace then left again into Armagh by now I had seen 2 others from the full marathlon and they were both looking like death moving pretty near how I felt. Turned again into Kilmore seen the finish line and there was hubby and Jo and Rachel there at the line I was gonna make it I was gonna complete the darn thing.
4hours 21mins 26sec
2545.6 calories burned
32268 steps
Felt so good.
Was annoyed with husband because I had asked him to take photos but he didn't.
Got a medal for finishing.
I had planned on going to pool for a soak in spa but forgot my bloody togs so after prize giving for which the times were bloody impressive I can tell u, hubby and I went over to see Chris again she was feeling down so pleased I went we talked about my walk and remembered some good times...as I was leaving I thanked her for being such a good friend. We were neighbours when our kids were little (3) so have been thru thick and thin since I am going to miss her even though we r not neighburs anymore we have stayed good friends. That was going to be the last time I probably seen her but as it happened I stayed a day longer and called to see her again on Tuesday.
We had made plans to meet Jo and her hubby and Rachel for meal at The Cabbage Tree eat more food than I needed to but it was yum. Great evening laughing and talking and making plans for more events..Buller Gorge Marathon, Dunedin Marathon, Contours Duathlon Series, She duathlong and Specail K(we think they might combine these too)-talk of the Grape Ride too hah yeah right my bum can handle 101 kilometres on my bike.
On Monday I went to spa. After pool I went to visit my friend, Ngaire, from Palmerston Nth she is in Chch visiting her son. spent couple of hours there. Then drove to another friends for an hour or so back to Aunties for roast Chicken for tea yum. Decided I wasn't going home Tuesday either-just ddn't want to go. Made the paper with results of walk.
So Tuesday did a bit of shopping after Aqua at noon and a spa changed some slippers I had bought and didn't like. Then went and spent several hours with Chris-we looked over old photos and stuff quality time. Home for cold chicken and salad and I bought a bottle of wine, cause I wanted it.
Wednesday I rose at 8 fuddled around doing bits like washing the bed, packing the car, breakfast, made a few phone calls. Left Aunties about 11 off to supermarket if I finished with shopping and was in Hornby by 1pm I'd call in for a quick coffee with Leslie left there at 2. Got home just on 7.30 stopped at Ashburton for fuel and few grceries at Countdown left Ashburton at 4 stopped for tea at Fairlie at 5.30.
In all a good weekend away.

6 Comments:

At June 08, 2006 9:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no guts, no glory! good on you Felicity for sticking it out and finishing your marathon. 18kms thats bloody impressive mate - well done :)

 
At June 09, 2006 2:31 pm, Blogger Jaxx said...

Bloody fantastic girl!!!!

Cheers Jaxx :)

 
At June 09, 2006 10:04 pm, Blogger Sue said...

I am just so proud of you for hanging in there and finishing that walk. You are one amazing lady and I think of you when I need inspriation to carry on with my exercise.

 
At June 10, 2006 10:03 am, Blogger Anne said...

What an inspring woman you are - Can't believe the determination and motivation that you have! Well done Felicity on another fantastic achievement:)

 
At June 11, 2006 12:33 pm, Blogger Cathy said...

As we over here say - You little Beauty Felicity - you have done yourself proud.

Whenever I have a bad day and feel I'm never going to make my goal I think of you and all your achievements.

Thanks for being an inspiration

Cathy

 
At June 11, 2006 9:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must be so proud hun. I agree with Cathy you are such an inspiration hun.

Love CM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home